Current Lines

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Won a Bet, Lost a Tourney

We had all 10 Vegas or Bust League members seated for our eighth league tournament last Friday. When completed, it marked the half way point of the season. The first and second place finishers in league play win a seat to the 2013 WSOP, plus airfare and hotel expenses.

Through seven tourneys I had a nine point lead over J-Dawg, but had a poor seventh place finish in our July event. My goal in this tournament was to finish no lower than third.

Seated from left to right on your radio dial were Lil' Annie Okie, Tin Man, Stamps, Philly Phanatic, Bobby Dee, J-Dawg, Ollie the Accountant, Dealer Larry, Big Daddy, and yours truly, Lucki Duck.

I challenged the rest of the table to a $10 last longer side bet, but didn't get any takers. J-Dawg sais he would go for a $5 one and both Bobby Dee and Big Daddy joined for a $20 pot.

Unlike in most of the tournaments thus far, this time I got several big starting hands early, with mixed results. The very first hand I peeked down at was Big Slick and I raised the $10-20 blind to $60 and got one customer. I whiffed the flop, but tossed out a $70 continuation bet and Stamps folded.

Just a few hands later, I got Big Slick again and open raised to $50 from middle position. Once again, I missed the flop and tossed in a $60 c-bet. This time Stamps called. Stamps plays pretty tight poker, so I knew I was behind in the hand, probably to a mid pocket pair. We both checked the turn and river and Stamps tabled pocket sevens for the win.

Still on the first revolution around the table, I picked up Q-Q and raised to $70 with one limper in front. The flop was 4-Q-7 and Big Daddy bet into me. Since the flop was a rainbow, I just smooth called. Big Daddy threw a black chip in when a 10 hit the turn and I decided it was time to show a little aggression and raised to $250, causing Big Daddy to fold. Too bad, I thought he might have enough of a hand to stick with me.

The problem with getting hands early is that it seems that you can never pick up any hands late when the blinds are big and you can win some sizeable pots. Tonight was no exception. I managed to pick up a few pots during the mid stages, but when it got late I just couldn't get anything worth playing.

Dealer Larry was the first to fall on his sword, followed by Philly Phanatic. After a quick start in league play, Philly has had two bad finishes in the last three tourneys and this one dropped him back in the standings.

J-Dawg was next, which dropped him from second to third in the league standings, which is big, but he's only one point behind Ollie and still has a good shot at a spot in the WSOP.

As is his MO, Big Daddy built a big stack early then pissed it away thying to play table captain and went out in seventh. Bobby Dee was next to go, which secured the last longer bet for me and I pocketed the $15 profit.

Now down to five players and blinds rising, everyone dug their heels in, tightening up in an attempt to outlast the other players. A perfect opportunity to start stealing blinds. I did manage to pick up two or three pots, but was basically card dead. Stamps finally went out in fifth and I was next when my pocket fours were called by Tin Man with Big Slick. Things were looking good with a J-7-J flop, but I was counterfeited when another 7 showed its ugly face on the turn.

With blinds capped at $1000-2000, the tournament didn't last much longer, with Lil' Annie Okie eliminated in third, followed by Ollie in second, giving Tin Man his much needed first win in league play.

Click here for the complete standings. 

The $2 buy in cash game went well for me, cashing out with a $6 profit. Added to my $15 win on my last longer bet, it ended up being a nice night for the ol' bankroll.

Our next league tournament will be September 14th.

Till next time, win the flips.


No comments:

Post a Comment