Current Lines

Friday, April 1, 2011

High Hand Bonanza

It was a night of big hands and big pots at J-Dawg's Poker Extravaganza last night. We had 9 runners show for a meal and cards. Bobby Dee brought a nice selection of deli meats, (turkey, pastrami, roast beef, etc) plus a couple flavors of cheese, and it was "build your own sandwich night." Add in some chips plus some cookies for desert, and we were ready to start pitching cards in this $20 buy-in dealer's choice limit game.

I've never seen as many big hands in three hours of poker as I witnessed last night. And it lasted to the very last hand, when J-Dawg won a big pot with quad fours. Was that good enough to win the High Hand Jackpot? Not even close.

Fifteen minutes earlier J-Dawg had hit four 7's, taking another big pot over Jimbo's and Stamps' full houses. Good enough for the HHJ? Nope.

About midway through the evening, I rivered a miracle five of clubs, giving me a straight flush to the nine! Nice pot, but amazingly, not the high hand of the night.

Bobby Dee won the HHJ with a straight flush to the king about an hour into the game. Wow!

I walked away with an extra $15 added to my bankroll, with J-Dawg pocketing the biggest profit with a $43 win.

                      ********************************************

I have mentioned my friend and fellow poker player "Woody" in many of my previous blogs. Woody plays with us at J-Dawgs on Thursdays and recently turned 80. He came down with a bad cold that turned into pnuemonia and it seems to be getting the best of him. Woody has been in ICU on a ventilator for a week now, and has slipped into a coma. His doctors don't give him much of a chance to survive at this point. My request is to keep Woody and his family in your thoughts and prayers as they go thru this battle. Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Woody. An old guy who fits in with younger guys is okay in my book (if you catch my drift).

    I'll send some good vibes his way -- share my MOJO with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers and good karma being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah -- you guys might want to consider shuffling cards between hands. : o )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shuffling? Hmmmm... never thought of that. Maybe we'll try it next time!

    Thanks for your good wishes lightning.

    ReplyDelete