Current Lines

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cancer Returns-Update

Mom a few years ago with my sister.
Here's the update on Mom.

She visited with her oncologist this morning and was told her cancer is stage 3.

The plan of attack is both chemo and radiation. She will receive radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks and that will be combined with chemo 1 day a week for 5 weeks. After the treatment is complete, she will have a petscan done to determine if the cancer is in remission. If she gets too sick during treatment, they will stop the chemo.

Chance of remission is 2-5% with radiation and 30-35% with the chemo/radiation combo. Remission can last up to 2 years if we can get to that point.

We're hoping she will be able to take her treatments in Waco, but that will be determined by the docs here and in Houston.

I'll update when I know more.

Thank you for your prayers and positive energy. Keep 'em coming.

10 comments:

  1. roger that. a new batch of positive energy from colorado on the way, dude. express delivery

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom is a cancer survivor and I have some idea what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, cancer is something we're all too familiar with. Lost my father 15 years ago to the same disease. It's so hard to see someone you love suffer, knowing there's not anything you can do to physically, so you just have to focus on emotional support.

      Thanks for your thoughts MOJO.

      Delete
  3. My thoughts are with your Mom. I'm halfway through my six month course of fortnightly chemo treatment after my cancer returned. Her strength will come from the love and support she gets from her family. Without the love of my wife and sons and their families I would have given up long ago. Please tell her a cuddly old Koala sends his best wishes to her and stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of wisdom Koala. We too are blessed with a close family, so she will have strong emotional support.

      Best of luck with your recovery.

      I'll be sure to pass along a bear hug to Mom :)

      Delete
  4. Sending you all my positive thoughts from Vegas & L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ducky,

    My thoughts are with you, your mom and your family. I'm so sorry you're all going through this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete