Current Lines

Thursday, February 21, 2013

PokerPalooza


It was a rough night for me at our Tuesday night PokerPalooza game at the Duck Blind.

The evening began well enough, with Stamps bringing a brisket he had smoked earlier in the day. Add some buns BBQ sauce, and condiments and you've got yourself a pretty tasty meal. My daughter's chocolate cup cakes that she had baked for dessert were consumed quickly and we were tossing cards shortly after 7 o'clock.

We had a full table for our $20 buy-in, dealer's choice limit game. Seated were Bobby Dee, J-Dawg, Stamps, Dealer Larry, Farmer Harry, Ollie the Accountant, Ray-Ray, Glass Man, and Lucki Duck.

Ray-Ray won the High Hand Jackpot when he hit quad queens in a hand of Omaha early in the evening. However, J-Dawg was the big winner again this week, walking away with a $30 profit, most of it from my bankroll.

Every now and then you just have one of those nights. My hole cards were consistently bad, and when I had a decent starting hand I would wiff the flop. If my hand was good enough to play to the river, I pretty much had the second best hand. That gets expensive.

By the time the carnage was over I had won only two hands and dropped 23 bucks. It's nights like this that make you thankful you are playing for small potatoes :)

Although it was an expensive evening, it was an enjoyable one. The truth is that if I had to pay $20 for dinner and a few hours of poker with friends, Mr. Jackson would be leaving my wallet every time.

I have a road trip coming up this weekend. Sonny Boy turns 21 on Monday and Ms. Duck turns ?? on Wednesday, so our family will be heading south to Austin to eat at Razoos, which is supposed to be very good. Should be fun!

Till next time, win the flips.

2 comments:

  1. an enjoyable evening of dinner and poker with friends is worth a Jackson every single time.

    Win, lose or stack everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it, you did it again. All this yummy food talk is too much!

    ReplyDelete