Current Lines

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Art of the Deal


As you you may recall (and if not, you can read about it HERE) Stamps and I finished tied for second place in our Vegas or Bust Poker League. The top two finishers in the standings win a seat to the WSOP this summer at the Rio.

We had several options on settling the tie. One was to play heads up for all the marbles, which neither of us wanted to do. Another was for both of us to go, but take care of most of the hotel and plane cost out of our own pocket. The third scenario was the one we chose.

Stamps won a seat in the first year of the league and did poorly at the World Series, busting in the first couple hours of play.

"I've been and don't really have a desire to go back," he said. "Why don't you let me take a cash payout and you go," he continued.

"How much do you want?" I asked.

Stamps threw out a number and the negotiation started. However, this one was a little different. I thought the payout he wanted was too low. He thought my offer was too high. Go figure! We went back and forth for a week and finally settled on a number with which we could both live.


So, for the third year in a row,  I will get the opportunity to play in the WSOP! Ms. Duck and I will fly from Austin sometime in June. As soon as we decide on a firm date I'll let you know. Hopefully, some of you will be in town and we'll get a chance to visit.

Till next time, win the flips.

9 comments:

  1. Wisdom of Solomon. Good luck out west and I hope to see you (and Ms. LD) there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to finally meet the legend that is Memphis MOJO.

      And by "legend," I'm referring to the Two-Time NFL Picks Champion, not that WSOP Final Table thingy. Anyone could do that :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good deal for you both. Should you pull a MOJO and go deep, will you buy Stamps a new car or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the league gets half of the winnings, so I guess he'd get a slice.

      Maybe just a Yugo though :)

      Delete
  3. That's great, I look forward to seeing you two again. If Lightning isn't there at the time to use his comps for a nice dinner, I'm sure he'll let us use them anyway; that's the kind of guy he is.

    Great story too, that you were both being so generous and considerate. Nice to read a feelgood story these days.

    Bring the guy back an In-N-Out Burger (or do you have those in Texas?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we have to use the "jaws of life" to open lightning's wallet last time?

      We do have in-N-Out Burger in the Dallas area and they have broken ground on one in Waco. I personally prefer Whataburger, so maybe he'll settle for a Monterrey Melt :)

      Delete
    2. SHEEEEEEEEIT!!!!! dont need In-Out Burger when u got WHATABURGER!!!!!!!!!!!!! need 1 in colorado.imo. s/o to my old crew at Whataburger in Magnolia Tx.

      Delete
  4. I love the cause of your negotiation. Truly awesome. Best of luck again my friend!

    ReplyDelete