Current Lines

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lucki Duck's Poker Week


I made my way over to J-Dawg's last Wednesday for J-Dawg's Poker Extravaganza.

We haven't gotten together in several weeks because J's A/C unit was on the fritz. I love playing poker, but not enough to play in a house with no air conditioning on a hot summer night in central Texas!

Larry the Mailman won the high hand jackpot with a straight flush to the eight. Farmer Harry had it till then with quad nines, but it didn't hold up.

I didn't have any memorable hands, but did enjoy seeing everyone after a long layoff. I didn't even make them play Badugi!

The crowd at Tin Man's $5 buy-in tournament on Friday was sparse, with only seven players. I wasn't able to get much going early in the tourney and ended up pushing from late position with QT suited for 7 BB. Kind of a loose push that received a loose call from Big Daddy's K5 offsuit. Big Daddy hit his diamond flush on the turn, when the fourth diamond hit the board and I was finished.

As I was getting up from the table, three more showed up for the $2 buy-in cash game. "Bondo" Chris (ursonvs600 on Full Tilt), "Sonny Boy" Scott (my son, and jaws202 on Full Tilt), and my daughter, Meridith "M2", who seldom plays. Bluffing Bev had already busted from the tournament, so the five of us sat down and started pitching cards.

I started fast, chipping up to $6 quickly. Big Daddy, Freddie the Grocer, Debbie, Phillie Phanatic and Tin Man joined us within the next half hour.

My first name was the topic of conversation for most of the night. Everyone has known me as "Pete" all these years, not realizing it is a nickname. When searching for me on the WSOP website to see how I was doing, I was listed under my given name, which is "Pressly." They were all surprised to learn this info, and became even more intriqued when I said, "You think Pressly's unusual, you should hear my middle name!"

Freddie the Grocer got on the internet via his cell phone and googled my name, trying to weed out some info that might reveal my middle name. Freddie is an excellent poker player, so having him distracted by his search was definitely a good thing!

I got K7 four consecutive times! I don't know what the odds of that happening are, but pretty high I would think. I mentioned after the second time that I had had K7 twice in a row. I folded the third one face up and got my stack in on the fourth one when I flopped two pair. Freddie called and tabled K8 for TPTK. Sonny Boy called for an eight on the turn and PRESTO!

Eight.

Crap.

I had Freddie covered, but still lost over half of my stack.

In my final two hands of the night, I had Big Daddy drawing thin on the river both times (3 outers) and he hit them both times, so I figured it was time to call it a night and limp home $9 lighter.

On the internet scene, I have decided to move up from the $6 level to the $11 level, continuing to play mainly 18 man tournaments. I used to play at the $11 level a couple years ago with some success, but developed some leaks in my game and moved down until I could figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm playing better and am going to give the elevens a shot again. I'll let you know how it goes.

That's all that's going on in Lucki Duck's poker world. I hope your upcoming week is productive and profitable.

Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. You tease! What's your middle name???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bidding for that info was up to $10 per player last Friday ($70 total) and I wouldn't give it up.

    Care to bid VJ???

    ReplyDelete